5 Steps to Prepare Your Home to SELL (Indoor Edition)
Brrr! Has all this cold weather frozen you on your “Honey-Do” list? No need to stress or to wait until Spring to begin preparing your home to sell. We’re here to help you! Jump start the process with these 5 steps to make life easier when you decide to list your home.
1. Declutter: First thing’s first! Get rid of all the stuff
We all have it. Stuff settles into the nooks and crannies of our homes like dust, and like dust you don’t really know how much is there until you try to get rid of it. Keep only the bare necessities of survival, pack up the rest and put it in storage. Mostly empty closets, drawers, and bookshelves showcases a space’s potential and helps Buyers envision it as their home rather than yours.
2. Depersonalize: Take down the “Wall of Fame”
All those family photos, children’s artwork, winning medals – known endearingly as The Wall of Fame”- … Well, those can await your new home in storage too. The Buyer’s need to be able to imagine themselves in your home and family photos can be distracting.
3. Sanitize: Let there be sparkle
After thoroughly decluttering, it will be so much easier to give your home the deep clean it deserves! It is well worth the effort to clean the carpets, polish the floors, wipe down the baseboards, walls and ceiling fans, wash the light fixtures, and desmudge the windows. Clean to the invigorating rhythms of AC/DC and you’ll be done before you know it.
4. Neutralize: Color can make or break a Buyer’s interest in a home
Painting is one of the most inexpensive ways to change the look of a home. Lay down some plastic and pick up a few cans of paint in light tones of creams, beiges, tans, or grays. This will freshen up and neutralize the look of your home. You’ll be amazed at what a little paint can do!
5. Modernize: Updating the little things goes a very long wayThis can seem daunting on a limited budget, however, simple updates can make a huge difference! Consider updating cabinet hardware, kitchen and bathroom faucets, and light fixtures.
Remember: Inhale. Exhale. You got this! And when you’re ready to sell your home…
Give us a call! We are looking forward to helping you.